Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Pimp my T stop!



I've often wondered where the "emergency exit" staircase would empty evacuees from the Arlington Street stop on the greenline in Downtown Boston.

Today I found out. I decided to go out of my way to see the new construction of this subway stop that had been hidden for years. As I exited the trolley I was amazed to see the antique tile walls with a mosaic reading "ARLINGTON". I can't believe they ever covered up such beautiful artwork with genereic white tiles, and a generic metal sign set in generic helvetica. BORING!

I seriously doubt that the city of Boston will resurrect this old backdrop that was once the Arlington Street Station. It makes me sad.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I commuted through the new/old Arlington St. station this evening. I'm wondering about the sign that reads "Siamese Passage --->". Where do you think you end up if you follow that arrow????

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely felt like I was in some post-modern, existential art film walking through the grubby white tiled tunnels in search of the exit(theoretically). And what did I see when I finally emerged, weary and foot sore? STARBUCKS! Ironic, eh?

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home